On Wednesday the 31st of August I did my second Toastmaster speech, entitled The benefits of a philosophical education. I memorised the speech off by heart. I had a brief moment of apprehension when my mind went blank at a few points in the speech, but I kept my calm and carried on. I got very good feedback:
- Good subject and good knowledge (5)
- Obviously well researched (5)
- Good organisation; logical and clear (4)
- Excellent opening (5)
- The body flowed well, quotes were very relevant and appropriate – the right number as well (4)
- The conclusion was excellent (5)
- Transitions – I liked the reference to benefit 1,2 etc; maybe there could have been a couple more sign posts (4)
Good use of minimal notes. Could use a highlighter to find place more easily. Try to have more eye contact with audience; even if you are looking above people’s heads.
Particularly liked the opening and closing; they were very strong. Good paragraphs and referred back to the opening. You left us with a personal reflection which worked well.